There have been many projects designed to digitize medieval and renaissance documents. Some of the most important digital reformatting project include:
The Digital Scriptorium: Housed at the University of California, at Berkeley, the Digital Scriptorium consists of 24,300 color images of 5,300 medieval and renaissance manuscripts from the joined holdings of the Berkeley and Columbia-affiliated libraries, as well as the Union Theological Seminary (NY) and the De Bellis Collection (CA).
The Electronic Beowulf Project: A joint project of professors at the University of Kentucky and the Medieval Institute of Western Michigan University, this project has digitized the entire Beowulf manuscript and published them on CD. Some of the images are digitally enhanced, to clean up damage to the original manuscript.
The Scribe: a project digitizing medieval manuscripts in Bulgaria.
The Aberdeen Bestiary Project: A complete digitization of the Aberdeen Bestiary, an illuminated document considered to be very important since it contains notes, sketches and other evidence of the way it was designed and executed.
University of Oxford Early Manuscripts Imaging Project: Digitization of 80 manuscripts held by the University of Oxford libraries.
LIBRO: Library of Iberian Resources Online is a collection of approximately 50 full-text digital editions of scholarly works on medieval Iberia.
Canterbury Tales Project: a digitization and transcription of the full Canterbury Tales manuscript on cd-rom done through a joint project of Oxford University, Montfort University, and the British Academy and published by Cambridge University Press.
Digitization of the Archivo de las Indias: a project to digitize the documents in the Archivo de las Indias-- an archive of all the documents associated with Spain's colonization of the New World.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
These are wonderful links. I can't wait to peruse this stuff. I have always been a fan of medieval literature. I took a class about Chaucer in school, a class about Shakespeare. I learned how to read (somewhat) middle english-I still have the text-and I love Beowulf. The ORIGINAL Beowulf not the movies that have come out. The movies are interesting and the last one was quite beautiful and astonishing but not the same. There are even some children's books that talk about how to make illuminated pages and one that is a diary of life in a medieval castle "Castle Diary: Journal of Tobias Burgess, Page" by Richard Platt.
Jenny Lopez
Post a Comment